[intro] Before you begin this guide, you need to ensure that you have opened both a Facebook Account and populated a Facebook Page to promote your EKM online shop. Facebook Messenger allows you to interact with your website visitors and answer any questions they may have, right within the Facebook Messenger app.[/intro]
There are a few steps to setting up Facebook Messenger on your shop but we’ve made it really easy using our setup wizard. Alternatively, you can manually setup your Facebook Messenger chat widget.
[caution] You cannot use EKM Live Chat and Facebook Messenger on your EKM online shop at the same time. You would be best researching the functionality offered by each and deciding which is the most applicable to you and your customers. [/caution]
Installing the Feature
1. From the Dashboard, click the Features tab:
2. On the Features page, click the Facebook Messenger icon:
3. Click the Install Feature button:
4. When the Feature has been installed you will see this:
1. Using our setup wizard is the easiest way to set up the Facebook Messenger chat widget on your EKM online shop. To do this, click Get Started within the Facebook Messenger feature:
2. This will then take you through the steps required to add Facebook Messenger to your EKM online shop.
1. Click Messenger Settings:
2. This will reveal the field for your Facebook Page ID. To locate it, you must do this using a desktop or laptop computer as these settings are not visible on the standard Facebook App. To do this,open another browser tab, log into your Facebook Account and go to your Facebook Page. Click About on the Left-hand side:
3. Scroll down towards the bottom of the page, and you will see your Facebook Page ID:
4. The Facebook Page ID is unique to your Facebook Page. Copy this long number and then paste it into the field provided within the Facebook Messenger feature on your EKM online shop, before clicking Save:
5. You then need to return to the browser tab displaying your Facebook Page and click the Settings tab on the top right:
6. Then you need to click Messenger Platform on the left-hand side:
7. Scroll down towards the bottom of the page, and look for the White-Listed Domains header. You need to add the domain name of your EKM online shop, starting with ‘https’. When you have added the domain name to the field, click the Save button:
8. You should now open an incognito/in-private browsing tab and visit your EKM online shop as a customer would see it. Your Facebook Messenger chat widget should now display so your customers can begin chatting with you.
9. To configure auto responsive messaging, you need to do this via the Settings of your Facebook Page. Click the Settings tab:
10. From the list on the left-hand side, click the Messaging tab:
11. On the Messaging Settings page, scroll down to Response Assistant:
12. You will need to click all three of the switches provided. The first ensures that anyone who messages you receives an instant reply, the second allows this automatic response if you’re away from your phone or computer and the finally the Messenger Greeting adds a friendly greeting automatically to any new conversations.
As you click each switch, this will reveal a Change button - click these to change the wording of the text for each of these actions:
When you have finished editing, you Response Assistant should look something like this:
There are a few instances where the chat widget may not appear to you or your customers:
Your shop domain isn’t whitelisted
In order for the chat widget to appear, you must ensure all of your shop’s domain names are whitelisted. If you whitelisted the domain name when you didn’t have SSL (http://www.example.com) you may need to add the SSL (https://www.example.com) version of your domain name. Follow the steps above or complete the wizard again to set up a new domain name.
You are viewing your shop in the Shop tab
The Facebook Messenger chat widget will not appear in your EKM Shop’s Shop tab (the edit view) and can only be viewed when you view your shop as a customer would.
You have a browser ad blocker extension
Some browser ad blocker extensions will cause the widget not to appear. You should whitelist your shop from the extension settings.
You are not logged into Facebook
The widget will occasionally not display when you are not logged in to Facebook.