[intro] When you’ve completed this Guide, you will have installed and configured the Loyalty Points feature which will enable your customers to earn points when they shop with you - a fantastic way of encouraging customer loyalty and repeat sales!
- Configuring your Loyalty Points
- What your customers see
- Accessing your Customers Loyalty Points
- Loyalty Points Display Options
- Why has my customer not been rewarded their Loyalty Points?
[remember] Loyalty Points are incompatible with the Klarna payment gateway. If you use Klarna on your EKM online shop, we recommend that you do not use the Loyalty Points feature. [/remember]
Installing the Feature
1. From the Dashboard, click the Features tab:
2. On the Features page, click the Loyalty Points icon:
3. Click the green Install Feature button:
Configuring your Loyalty Points
4. This will then display the settings for the Loyalty Points feature:
5. Choose from this drop-down menu which method you wish to use to reward your Loyalty Points:
- Earn & Spend (default) = This is automated and customers are able to earn and spend their points when they choose;
- Spend Only = This means that you - as the shop owner - needs to manually assign the Loyalty Points to a customer’s account on your shop before they can spend the points.
[tips] The configuration of this feature is something that’s unique to you and your EKM online shop. If you’re not sure how much you’d like a Loyalty Point to be worth, or whether to include points for delivery charges, have a look at the Loyalty Point schemes offered by your favourite retailers and compare the differences. ASOS, Tesco, Boots and Superdrug all run very successful loyalty point schemes which reward repeat customers with points which can be redeemed against future purchases, often when a specific number has been reached. [/tips]
How much is a Loyalty Point Worth?
6. This depends on how much you want to offer your customers. If you’re not sure, keep it set to the default 0.01 to begin with and review this amount after you have had your Loyalty Point scheme running for an adequate amount of time.
Award Points for Delivery Costs?
7. Again, this depends on your shop’s delivery methods and exactly how much you want to offer your customers. If you’re not sure what to include, use the default ‘Total Excluding Delivery’.
How many points should a customer have before they can redeem them?
8. This is where researching other retailers’ loyalty point schemes is useful. Some schemes make the customers save up 500 points before the customer is able to cash them in for a £5 voucher, whilst others make the customers save one thousand. Again, this depends on what kind of Products you are selling and exactly what you want to offer customers with your own Loyalty Points scheme.
How long should the points be valid for?
9. Dependent on what Products you sell, you may want to use the default setting of ‘Never Expire’ which gives the customers an infinite amount of time to save up their points. However, if you retail Products which are single use for example - which gives customers a reason to keep returning to your shop - you may want to consider limiting the validity of any saved points to encourage the customers to earn and spend points within a given period.
10. These tick boxes allow you to choose when Loyalty Points are awarded and when they are to be removed from the customer. It’s a good idea to set the points to be awarded when an order has a ‘Complete’ status and set Loyalty Points to be removed when orders have a ‘Cancelled’, ‘Failed’, ‘Declined’ or ‘Refunded’ status.
11. When you have finished configuring your settings, click the green Update button:
[tips] When you have configured the Loyalty Points feature, don’t forget to create a Webpage on your EKM online shop all about your Loyalty Points scheme so customers can easily find out the details of the promotion. You could further promote this by creating Design Images using the Image Builder and your Carousel (if you’ve installed one) all about your Loyalty Points scheme and link it to the dedicated Webpage. [/tips]
What your customers see
12. Once a customer has logged into their account on your EKM online shop, the customer will see notifications on the Product Pages indicating how many Loyalty Points they could earn if they purchase this Product:
13. When the customer has reached the minimum limit for spending their Loyalty Points, this will be signified on the Order Summary page of the Checkout:
Accessing your Customers' Loyalty Points
14. You can find out how many Loyalty Points a customer has earned, or adjust the number of Loyalty Points a customer has. To do this, click the Orders tab:
15. On the Orders page, click View Customers to the top-right:
16. This will display a list of the customers that have created accounts on your shop:
17. Using the search bar at the top of the page, you can search for customers using their first name, last name and email address. When you see the customer you are looking for, click their name to open their details. Here you can see their contact details, order history, and Loyalty Points balance. If you want to amend the customer’s Loyalty Point balance, click the green Edit button on the top right-hand corner of the screen:
18. You can now edit the number of Loyalty Points the customer has by amending the figure in the Loyalty Points field. When you have finished making changes, click the green Save button on the top right-hand side:
Loyalty Points Display Options
There are some more advanced settings within the Loyalty Points feature which allow you to edit what text is displayed where Loyalty Points are referenced on your shop. Return to the Loyalty Points feature and click Loyalty Points Display Options header at the bottom of the page:
This will reveal four fields where you can amend the text that is displayed for each action:
[warning] When editing the text, do not remove the EKM Tags - the commands within [square brackets]- as these will prevent the Loyalty Points feature from working properly. [/warning]
When you have finished editing the text, scroll down and click the green Update button on the bottom right of the screen:
Why has my customer not been rewarded their Loyalty Points?
This is a common issue that occurs when a customer has unwittingly created more than one account on your EKM online shop. If a customer complains that there were not able to redeem their Loyalty Points:
- Check that they logged into their account on your shop in the first place. If they did not, you need to explain to them that to use Loyalty Points, they need to log into their account on your shop.
- If they have logged in to their account when the order was made, return to the View Customers page (step 14 listed above) and run a search for their name.
If there is more than one instance of their name, it’s possible that they’ve opened more than one account on your EKM online shop - check the details on each instance of their name to confirm it’s the same individual each time. Ask your customer which email address they would like to use before amending the total of Loyalty Points on the account to add any points earned on the account created in error. Confirm with your customer which email address they should use when logging into your EKM online shop in the future.
Where will customers see their Loyalty Points?
The customers will see their Loyalty Points balance when they log into their account on your EKM online shop:
And their Loyalty Points balance is also visible on the Checkout Flow too:
[contact] If you need our help with your EKM online shop, contact your Account Manager or Customer Support, who will be able to point you in the right direction. We're open from 8am-6pm weekdays and 9am-5.30pm on the weekends. If you'd like to suggest a feature or an upgrade on any of the EKM platforms, please let us know on the EKM Suggestions board. If you have a non-account specific question ask the EKM Team, join us in ekmCommunity. [/contact]