[intro] Before you begin this Guide, you need to ensure that you have installed the Social Plugins feature and that you have an existing personal Facebook account you can use to make a Facebook Page to promote your EKM online shop. You will also need to have a domain at your EKM online shop. [/intro]
- How to create a Facebook Page
- Complete the steps
- Setting your Facebook Page Username
- Linking to the Social Plugins feature
Created in 2004, the Facebook platform is the biggest social media platform out there, and an excellent way of promoting your brand and products both within your physical locality and to potential new customers online. Facebook itself is very insular, so it’s important that you have some presence there to advertise yourself to users who perhaps rarely leave Facebook to venture onto other sites without seeing an online recommendation from friends and family first.
A Facebook Page is different from a personal profile; Facebook Pages have been created especially to advertise a business, company, brand, or charity; they can be followed (without a user having to put in a Friend Request) and all of their content is public. This encourages Facebook users to learn about your business, see your products and read reviews from previous customers.
Facebook users cannot see your personal profile via your Facebook Page unless of course, you want them to. Otherwise, when you invite your existing Facebook Friends to like and follow your new Facebook Page, they will get a notification but it will not show whether you are the page owner, or whether you just thought the page would be of interest to them.
[tips]It’s a good idea to prepare your images for your Facebook Page before you begin. You will need a cover image and a profile picture.
Your cover image needs to be 820 pixels wide and 360 pixels tall. It’s highly recommended that you use a photo without text here because this area is responsive, and you risk text or essential information being cropped out when people view your Facebook Page on different devices. You can deal with this quite easily by cropping one of the Design Images from the Homepage of your EKM online shop to size, removing any text and using that as your Facebook page cover photo:
Facebook recommends using .png files for profile pictures and cover photos and if you need a platform to edit your own versions, Canva and Pixlr are both free to use.
Remember, any text that you wanted to add initially to that cover photo can be applied to the relevant fields on your Facebook Page, such as your EKM online shop URL, telephone number and strapline.
Your profile picture needs to be 180 pixels square:
Remember that in posts and on Facebook Ads, your profile picture will display as circular:
How to create a Facebook Page
1. To begin, you need to click this link - your browser should automatically recognise your existing Facebook account and log you in automatically. This will direct you to this page. You need to complete the fields on the left-hand side and then click the blue Create Page button in the bottom left-hand corner to begin:
[tips]It’s a good idea to copy the text from the About Us Webpage of your EKM online shop onto a Notepad or Text Editor (.txt file) before you begin. You can then cut and paste details about your EKM online shop quickly into the different fields on your Facebook Page to save you from typing everything out again. [/tips]
2. Now you need to click the Add Profile Picture button on the left-hand side:
3. Select the picture from your computer in the File Explorer window, and you’ll see the profile picture appear in the field:
4. Now you need to click the Add Cover Photo button on the left-hand side:
5. Repeat the process, selecting the image from the File Explorer window, so that it is displayed in the Cover Photo field, before clicking the blue Save button:
Complete the Steps
6. Your Facebook Page will now refresh, and you’ll see something that looks like this:
7. You now need to click the arrows next to each of the uncompleted steps in the middle of the page:
8. Work through each of the different steps, adding as much information you can to the fields provided:
[remember]If there are any fields you don’t want to complete right now, click the More button, and then click Save And Finish Later:
Be sure to return in the future and complete these fields, however - the more information you can add onto your Facebook Page, the more authority it has, and the more it will encourage new customers to visit your EKM online shop. [/remember]
Setting your Facebook Page Username
9. You then need to create a username for your Facebook Page. You need this because it makes your Facebook Page easier to find for Facebook users, and it is used to link your Facebook Page to the Social Plugins feature on your EKM online shop. To do this, click Edit Page Info on the bottom left-hand side:
10. Add your username into the field provided at the top of the page:
11. Ensure that there are no spaces and that the name matches your branding on your EKM online shop. However, if the username you want is not available, add your location too. For example, instead of EvesEmporium, you would try EvesEmporiumLancashire. Enter your username, check that the spelling is correct and avoid using any hyphens ( - ) which may make your Facebook Page difficult to locate verbally. Scroll further down this page and complete as many of the fields provided as you can:
12. Toward the bottom of this Page, you can link to any other social media accounts that you’ve opened for your EKM online shop by using the drop-down menu on the right-hand side to select the relevant platform, entering just your username in the field provided and clicking the plus button:
Linking to the Social Plugins feature
13. Finally, to link your Facebook Page to the Social Plugins feature on your EKM online shop, you need your Facebook Page Username. It is visible in the URL when you are viewing your Facebook Page:
14. Copy the Username only (which is everything after ‘Facebook.com/’), and in a separate browser tab. return to the Social Plugins feature within your EKM online shop. Drag the Facebook logo into the lower field:
15. Then paste in your Facebook Page Username into the field provided:
16. Click the Update button, and this will remove the red warning bar as your Facebook Social Plugin is now correctly configured:
17. Your next step is to upload a feed of all of your Products from your EKM online shop into a Facebook Product Catalogue. This allows you to display your Products on your Facebook Pages, and customers clicking on these Products will be redirected to your EKM online shop to purchase them. To do this, you will need a Facebook Business Manager account, which you can open by following the steps in this Guide.
[tips]If you want to manage your Facebook Page from your mobile phone, you will need to install the Pages Manager app and use this separately to the standard Facebook app. [/tips]
- Features - Social Plugins
- Populating your Facebook Page
- How to Add Facebook Pixel to your EKM online shop
- Facebook Debugger
[contact] If you need our help with your EKM online shop, contact your Account Manager or Customer Support, who will be able to point you in the right direction. We're open from 8am-6pm weekdays and 9am-5.30pm on the weekends. If you'd like to suggest a feature or an upgrade on any of the EKM platforms, please let us know on the EKM Suggestions board. If you have a non-account specific question ask the EKM Team, join us in EKM Community. [/contact]